After a long and hot summer, September is finally here – and that means it’s time to talk about the stunningly blue birthstone, sapphire. The blue stone is beloved by all, not just September birthdays, and sapphires are featured in all sorts of jewelry. How much do you know about sapphires, and is there more you’d like to know? We’ve got a fun fact list all about sapphire – so take a read and learn something new. And be sure to tell us if you have an interesting bit of gemstone trivia that we might have missed.
Fun Facts about Sapphires
- Some sapphire stones exhibit the phenomenon of color change, going from blue in daylight to purple under incandescent light.
- While blue sapphires are the most common and desirable shade, the stone also comes in green, brown, yellow, and more.
- The most rare and valuable shade of sapphire is known as the padparadscha, a pinkish-orange shade named from the Sinhalese word for lotus blossom.
- In addition to being the September birthstone, sapphire is also a traditional gift for 45th wedding anniversary.
- Sapphire is among the strongest natural gemstones in existence, second only to diamonds.
- Sapphires are frequently associated with loyalty and dignity, and are a favorite gemstone for royalty.
Did you discover something interesting about sapphire stones? Are you an September birthday with a soft spot for your birthstone, or do you have other reasons for being in love with the sapphire? What is your favorite jewelry piece for sapphire, or your preferred cut? Let us know in the comments – we’d love to get feedback from our readers and bidders alike. Until next time, good luck, and happy bidding.
Make sure to follow PropertyRoom.com on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for more official police auction deals!