December is here, and with December comes three birthstones – three different options, three different stones to show off. For fans of different shades of blue, this is the month for you: tanzanite, turquoise, and blue-toned zircons reign supreme as December’s birthstones.
- A relatively young stone, tanzanite was discovered less than 75 years ago!
- First discovered in 1967 in Tanzania, East Africa
- For people who love flashy stones, tanzanite is the perfect stone: in the right light it can appear blue, purple, or a shade of violet.
- One of the oldest gems in the world, zircon has been around for over 4 million years.
- It was once believed that wearing zircon increased a wearer’s wisdom, brought prosperity, and assisted in resting.
- Zircon is found all around the globe, but very few of the zircon stones are of gem quality.
- Long a favorite of Egyptian pharaohs and Native Americans, turquoise is one of the oldest known gemstones in the world.
- For all its beauty, turquoise is a relatively soft stone – prone to scratching, cracking, and breaking outright.
- Turquoise is gemstone for 11th anniversary of marriage
Out of the three choices for December, do you have a favorite? Do you love tanzanite and turquoise, but don’t really care for zircon? Do you have a much-loved piece of jewelry with any of these stones that you couldn’t imagine not having? Let us know in the comments – we love feedback from our readers and bidders. Until next time, good luck, and happy bidding!