We had all September long to lovingly admire the deep blue birthstone of sapphire – and now it’s October, and with that, we have a new birthstone to talk about. Any love for opals, anyone?
A form of silica, opal is a precious stone found in all kinds of rocks. How much do you know about opals, and is there more you’d like to know? We’ve got a fun fact list all about sapphire – so take a read and learn something new. And be sure to tell us if you have an interesting bit of gemstone trivia that we might have missed.
Interesting Facts about Opals
- 95% of the world’s opal comes from Australia
- There are two types of opals: precious and common. Precious opals possess either vibrant color (fire opal) or exhibit a play of color, which describes the multidimensional color opals have.
- Boulder opal is the only to opal that can display the entire rainbow within one stone.
- The more diverse in color and vibrant an opal is, the higher the price tag will be.
- Opal is one of only a few gemstones that have ever been discovered outside of our planet.
- It is a long-held belief by many people that wearing opal when it is not your birthstone can bring about bad luck!
Did you discover something interesting about the captivating opal? Are you an October birthday with a soft spot for your birthstone, or do you have other reasons for being in love with opal of every style? What is your favorite jewelry piece for opal, or do you just love the stunning stone as is? Let us know in the comments – we’d love to get feedback from our readers and bidders alike. Until the next time, good luck, and happy bidding.
Make sure to follow PropertyRoom.com on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for more official police auction deals!